Senior UI/UX Designer
We are looking for a Senior UI/UX Designer to join our small but growing team. Your high-level responsibility will be to design the user experience as well as the user interface of our game. Your role will involve deeply understanding the needs of our users and the features of our game, and using your insights to define a compelling user experience. Working closely with our art director and development team, you will craft the user interface and user flows that support the game.
This role is available as an in-person (San Francisco, CA), remote or hybrid position.
What We’re Building
Imagine building a game that you would gladly play with your friends or family. We are creating a game that enables communities of players to build and nurture cozy virtual worlds together.
Games are a powerful way to build communities because they easily supply the core building blocks: strong identity and shared purpose. We use intentional game design decisions to foster community with a goal of bringing joy to players through meaningful cooperative experiences.
Come join Uncommon Games and help us achieve this goal!
About Uncommon Games
Uncommon Games is a venture-backed studio founded by passionate industry veterans. We have extensive experience developing games that have been played by millions of players around the world.
We strive to cultivate an inspiring and supportive work environment. We’re proud to offer:
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- Professional autonomy and radical ownership.
- Meaningful creative input into the game.
- Healthy work-life balance.
- Commitment to growth and learning: we play games together every Friday!
The main responsibilities for this role are to define the user experience for our cross-platform game, create the user interface elements, and work with the development team to execute on your design.
Other important responsibilities include…
- Work closely with game designers, developers, and artists to realize a comprehensive vision for the user experience of the game.
- Create concepts, wireframes, mockups, or prototypes to define, present, and iterate on UX and UI designs.
- Collaborate with the art director to ensure alignment between the game design and UX, and the UI and visuals of the game.
- Design beautiful and scaleable UI assets and vector icons to work across multiple platforms
- Create and manage the game’s UI toolkit and patterns
- Conduct user research, observe and learn from user behavior, and utilize behavioral data to generate practical insights.
- Understand and incorporate the needs and preferences of our audience into the development of the user experience.
Requirements / Qualifications
The main qualification for this role is deep experience working on both user experience and user interface for games on a number of platforms. Our game is going to be cross-platform which makes either expertise on multiple platforms or designing cross-platform critical.
Other important qualifications include…
- Proven experience designing UX and UI for games across platforms (including PC, mobile, and console), with a strong understanding of platform-specific design principles.
- Experience working in Unity and the ability to implement user interface elements directly in Unity.
- Expertise in creative software such as Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, XD or similar tools.
- Ability to create visually appealing and consistent designs that align with the game's aesthetic.
- Strong understanding of user-centered design principles and the ability to conduct usability tests and iterate on designs based on feedback.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in a remote team environment.
- 5+ years of experience in a relevant UI/UX Designer role, working in the game industry.
You’ll be an exceptional fit for this role if you are excited about the role, meet the above qualifications, and also really enjoy games.
Other factors that are valued for this role but are not required include…
- Experience in various stages of the game development lifecycle including prototyping, to pre-production, to production, to live operations.
- Experience developing games with creative, sandbox, open world, or cross platform aspects.
- Enjoys playing cooperative, multiplayer games.
- Experience with creating fast mock-ups and/or prototypes.
- Experience with editing font files and creating glyphs.
- Positive and self-driven attitude with the ability to participate in a collaborative environment.
Please email email@example.com with the subject line “Senior UI/UX Designer” with your resume / LinkedIn profile and a link to a portfolio of professional work. A portfolio is required to apply for this position.