Toronto, ON, Canada
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Apps are meant to live free - join the resistance.
Our company is building a new technology platform that enables new ways of delivering, discovering, and extending mobile applications -- ways that were never thought possible. We allow developers to – with no modifications to their code – transform existing mobile apps into web-native apps that can run anywhere, all without a walled garden app store.
But this technology doesn’t just magically appear, that's where you come in. You will help us build breakthrough technology to enable a radically improved mobile experience for users, giving them more control over their mobile device experience.
You will be getting in right at the beginning, be a key contributor in the technical strategic roadmap, building a world class technical team, and working in a small, agile, and flat organization to evolve our R&D initiatives into a live operational platform that will have an impact across the industry.
As a Technical Director, your primary responsibility will be leading, guiding, and supporting the engineers in charge of designing and developing complex, innovative systems that integrate various technologies. This role reports to the founder/CEO, and is a part of the senior leadership team.
Our founding team and advisors are serial entrepreneurs and technologists from Google, Mozilla, MIT Media Labs, and other top organizations. The company is joined by top-tier and global venture funds and angel investors.
- Lead and manage a team of engineers specializing in areas like Android/Linux development, network programming, WebGL, WASM, WebGPU, WebRTC, DevOps, and AWS
- Recruit, lead, and build a world class early stage, mission driven, technical team
- Lead the architectural design and technical roadmap of our product
- Work closely with CEO to develop strategic direction and vision
- Work closely with team members to understand their challenges, providing technical guidance and support where needed
- Lead the architectural design and technical roadmap of our cloud-based product infrastructure, ensuring its scalability and reliability
- Facilitate collaboration and information sharing among team members to ensure optimal results and cohesion in a remote first environment
- Assist with career development of team members, setting goals, and conducting performance reviews
- Promote a culture of thorough understanding and problem-solving, encouraging team members to delve deeply into every aspect of the systems they're working on
- Support in managing the candidate and employee lifecycle of direct reports, such as acting as a hiring manager, assisting in onboarding, and conducting performance reviews
- Must Haves:
- 10+ years of experience in software development, with 5+ years in a leadership role
- Proven experience in building and leading a world-class technical team
- Strong believer and bias for building smaller, more senior, highly collaborative, high-performance teams, enabled by aggressive automation and rapid experimentation
- A passion for invention and track record of building innovative emerging technologies with strong R&D foundations
- Proven experience in building a zero-to-one, venture-backed-type startup environment
- Experience in all aspects of mobile game development such as game engines, SDKs, and other related ecosystem technology
- Experience with complex system design and bringing live products to market that can anticipate rapid iterative development
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to facilitate collaboration and information sharing in a remote first environment
- Experience in effectively managing product planning through breaking down complex problems, assessing trade-offs, and presenting concise, data-driven & strategic level recommendations to executive leadership
- Nice to Haves:
- Expertise in most of the following areas: C/C++, AOSP/Android, GLES, WebGL/WebGPU, WASM, WebRTC, Browser Engines, Game Engines, and AWS
- A strong passion for emerging technologies and AI/ML
- Proven experience in managing, running, and scaling cloud-based production infrastructure, specifically with AWS, alongside familiarity with DevOps practices
- Experience with advanced compression software design
- Experience with AdTech or Mobile SDKs
- Technical product management experience
- Deep background and understanding of modern game engines
- Strong background and interest in emerging web technologies
- Strong understanding of low-level operating systems or graphics rendering or game engines
- Graduate work and/or a research background in a related area
This is a full-time, hybrid position. We offer a competitive salary, benefits, and an Employee Stock Option Plan.