Marketing and Communications Lead (video games)
Who is mod.io?
mod.io is the world’s most trusted platform for the creation and discovery of fully cross-platform User-Generated Content (UGC) and mods in video games.
Many of the industries most innovative and successful games have UGC at their core. We’re talking about Counter-Strike, DotA, and PUBG. These games have become house-hold names and that same innovation is what drives us. We are a fast-growing, early-stage startup, backed by leading video game venture capital firms including LEGO Ventures, Tencent, and Makers Fund.
Our mission is to connect game studios and publishers with their communities by harnessing the power of UGC. And we’re doing it; our platform is embedded in over 150 games, including some of the biggest and best games in the world. Games like Deep Rock Galactic, Snowrunner, and Dying Light 2, and we support over six-and-a-half-million monthly users.
What is the role?
We are looking for a Marketing and Communications Lead to shape and own the narrative of what comes next in video games. This is a hands on role where you will be responsible for leading external communications for mod.io, setting and delivering the earned media strategy and creating the language we use, rather than deliver a message.
Your responsibilities include:
- Shape the strategy for the mod.io go-to-market approach, defining and owning external communications (Earned PR).
- Execute campaigns to achieve meaningful press coverage across key B2B and B2C video games media.
- Develop PR campaigns centered on our studios, product, and purpose within the games industry.
- Collaborate across product teams to interpret, celebrate and communicate their stories which benefit mod.io’s value proposition to the wider gaming community.
- Build mod.io's profile with key B2B and B2C press contacts.
- Work with game publishers and studio who are integrating mod.io into their games, to share their stories.
- Operate as part of the mod.io marketing team, as the outward facing representative of the business.
- Write blog posts and other communication pieces
- Any other marketing work as required by a growing start up
Why work at mod.io?
We’re very ambitious in what we want to achieve as a company, and we work closely together to achieve our goals.
- We’re transparent and honest, and our focus is on getting things done in the most efficient way possible - if something is slowing us down, we want to know about it and fix it.
- We’re a small team with 40 people globally. This means there are always opportunities both to shape your role and also how we do things.
- We offer maximum flexibility - you can work hours based on your location and choose where you work - work from home (WFH) or away (any location), or enjoy the perks of our brand new office in Prahran if you’re in Melbourne.
- We provide a competitive salary and equity in the company
- We value the career development of our people; we look to hire within when opportunities arise, and provide mentorship and support for all our team.
- We’re very proud that we have a safe, transparent working environment where everyone is welcome, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for jobs with us.
What are we looking for in candidates?
We are looking for humble, enthusiastic, self-starters who take ownership over what they create and will help us shape and improve the company. Even if you don’t match the qualifications exactly, if you’re confident you can do the job, or can grow into the role, please throw your hat in the ring.
For this role, we need someone who can be a key contributor within the marketing team, who can process complexity and distil it into a compelling story.
We are looking for a hands on person who has:
- A strong understanding of video games, and the business of video games.
- 3 to 5 years experience in Public Relations, or Communications, ideally with experience in middleware and/or game publishing experience
- Strong media relationships across key markets are essential - in particular North America and Europe.
- Hunger to work and self-direct in a fast-paced start-up environment, with teammates across the globe.
It would be awesome if you also have:
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working in a small, growing start up
- A passion for video games
How do I apply?
This is a full time role. You can work remotely or from our office in Prahran, which is near Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please click the application button and provide:
- Your CV
- A cover letter outlining how you meet the criteria
If you don’t think you’re right for this role, but you’d love a role at mod.io, please fill in our Expression of Interest form.