Unreal Engine Library Developer (video gaming)
Who is mod.io?
mod.io is the world’s most trusted platform for the creation and discovery of fully cross-platform User-Generated Content (UGC) and mods in video games.
Many of the industries most innovative and successful games have UGC at their core. We’re talking about Counter-Strike, DotA, and PUBG. These games have become house-hold names and that same innovation is what drives us. We are a fast-growing, early-stage startup, backed by leading video game venture capital firms including LEGO Ventures, Tencent, and Makers Fund.
Our mission is to connect game studios and publishers with their communities by harnessing the power of UGC. And we’re doing it; our platform is embedded in over 150 games, including some of the biggest and best games in the world. Games like Deep Rock Galactic, Snowrunner, and Dying Light 2, and we support over six-and-a-half-million monthly users.
What is the role?
We are seeking an experienced Unreal Engine Library Developer to help us build and improve the industry's best interface for exploring and installing UGC. You will be part of the team that develops our open source Unreal Engine plugin to assist game developers with integrating the mod.io platform in their game.
Your responsibilities include:
- Maintain and improve our Unreal Engine Plugin - it provides a simple interface for the SDK to be used in Unreal Engine, and includes blueprints and engine-specific modifications.
- Support games to use our Unreal Engine plugin and SDK, including passing on improvement suggestions, answering questions from game developers and studios and working side-by-side with game developers
- Work alongside our developers to provide insightful feedback and suggestions on how we can improve our platform, including our REST API, from the perspective of game developers
- Test and implement your design on Linux, Mac, Windows, consoles and mobile to create a cross-platform solution.
- Create a defensive, robust solution that fails gracefully, caches smartly to minimise API calls, and provides useful logging to allow developers to debug.
- Keep your house clean - your code will be open sourced on GitHub and must be well documented for our community to fork and adapt as they need.
Why work at mod.io?
We’re very ambitious in what we want to achieve as a company, and we work closely together to achieve our goals.
- We’re transparent and honest, and our focus is on getting things done in the most efficient way possible - if something is slowing us down, we want to know about it and fix it.
- We’re a small team with 30 people globally. This means there are always opportunities both to shape your role and also how we do things.
- We offer maximum flexibility - you can work hours based on your location and choose where you work - work from home (WFH) or away (any location), or enjoy the perks of our brand new office in Prahran if you’re in Melbourne.
- We provide a competitive salary and equity in the company
- We value the career development of our people; we look to hire within when opportunities arise, and provide mentorship and support for all our team.
- We’re very proud that we have a safe, transparent working environment where everyone is welcome, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for jobs with us.
What are we looking for in candidates?
We are looking for humble, enthusiastic, self-starters who take ownership over what they create and will help us shape and improve the company. Even if you don’t match the qualifications exactly, if you’re confident you can do the job, or can grow into the role, please throw your hat in the ring.
We are looking for an experienced developer with:
- 5+ years Unreal Engine experience as a C++ engineer
- At least one shipped commercial title
- A basic understanding of HTTP Requests and cross-platform development requirements.
- Working in a team using task-management software.
- Excitement to dig in and experiment, with real attention to detail.
It would be awesome if you also have:
- Implemented for SteamWorks or GOG Galaxy.
- A passion for video games and an understanding of the unique challenges UGC presents us and similar businesses like Youtube and Steam.
- Experience developing on console
How do I apply?
This is a full time role. You can work remotely or from our office in Prahran, which is near Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please click the application button and provide:
- Your CV
- A cover letter outlining how you meet the criteria
- A link to relevant example code (Github or other location)
If you don’t think you’re right for this role, but you’d love a role at mod.io, please fill in our Expression of Interest form.
Something looks off?